80 From September 2014, passengers have been able to use contactless cards on the Tube, 81 the use of which has grown very quickly and now over a million contactless transactions are made on the Underground every day.
On 4 December 1946 the passenger line was extended eastwards as part of the war -delayed London Passenger Transport Board's New Works Programme.The connection to the main line south of Leyton was closed in 1970 and removed in 1972.Archived from the original on Brown, Matt.88 89 About 250,000 of damage was caused to the station, primarily to the glass roof.The University of London is conveniently located in the heart of Bloomsbury, next to the British Museum and Russell Square."Liverpool Street underground station, Bishopgate underground station (502060.An extension of the Central line west to Ealing was also delayed by the war and completed in 1920.By 1907 the District and Metropolitan Railways had electrified the underground sections of their lines.An Underground ticket hall was added in 1951.11 The lptb was a prominent patron of art and design, commissioning many new lync 2013 client update december station buildings, posters and public artworks in a modernist style.Contents History edit Main article: History of the London Underground Early years edit The Metropolitan Railway opened using GWR broad gauge locomotives The idea of an underground railway linking the City of London with some of the railway termini in its urban centre was proposed.The station was reconstructed with a single concourse at the head of the station platforms, and entrances from Bishopsgate and Liverpool Street, as well as a bus interchange in the south west corner.270 Johnston typeface edit Main article: Johnston (typeface) The first posters used a number of type fonts, as was contemporary practice, viewing pictures in windows 8.1 and station signs used sans serif block capitals."New Kindertransport statue installed".Temperatures of 47 C (117 F) were reported in the 2006 European heat wave.Retrieved "Tube map voted a UK design icon" (Press release).Archived from the original on 10 November 2016.This gave the station the most 1982 yamaha xt 125 cdi platforms of any London terminus until Victoria station was expanded in 1908."TfL Statement of Accounts" (PDF).Retrieved 21 November 2013.World War II suspended these plans after the Bakerloo line had reached Stanmore and the Northern line High Barnet and Mill Hill East in 1941.
To prepare construction, a short test tunnel was built in 1855 in Kibblesworth, a small town with geological properties similar to London.